Saturday, August 10, 2013

A family that runs together...

grows together.

Earlier this summer, I was at the local hardware store when I spotted a race flyer.  It was here in town and supported the high school PBIS program.  I grabbed two because Tim and I are always looking for local runs to be part of.  I was extra excited to see they were not only offering a 1 mile fun run, but also a 400 m dash for kids 5 and under.  Hannah loves talking to us about running and says she wants to be a runner like Mommy and Daddy when she gets big.  As we got ready to sign up, Tim realized he had to work that particular Saturday.  Bummer!  The kids and I still signed up and were super excited for the day to arrive.

Here are the runners before we left the house.

My mom and dad came to help with the kids while I ran the 5K.  They waited for me at the end of our street to watch me run by.  It was fun to see my family and kids cheering me on.  While I finished the race, they walked up to the high school to the finish line.  It was also great to see them all towards the end of the race when I was starting to get a little tired.

We had quite a while to wait until the kids run.  The kids were starting to get antsy, but we held them together until their race.  Here are my two future runners waiting for their race to start.

And the little runners making their way around the track.

And all of us at the end.  Each kid received a medal which the kids thought was really neat!  It wasn't a very big race and I even got a 3rd place medal for my age group.

I was so glad we were able to do this race together.  I love that our kids see Tim and I exercising and want to mimic us in that area.  I hope we continue to show and teach them how to live a healthy lifestyle through exercising.

No comments: